Preparation and maintenance of your sunless tan is the KEY to sunless success. Make sure to read our online sunless preparation and maintenance guide prior to your sunless application.
Follow these important steps to ensure maximum sunless results:
GENTLY exfoliate your skin prior to your sunless spray session. A gentle, sulfate-free skin polish can be used prior to your sunless session. Any waxing or shaving should be performed 24 hours in advance of applying sunless products. Remove any ‘barriers’ that may prevent the sunless product from absorbing into the skin evenly. These include, but are not limited to: make-up, deodorant, perfume, oils, moisturizers, residue from hair conditioners. Optimize your skin surface pH levels prior to application. Do not use bar soaps prior to your sunless tan.
Check out spray tan tips below FAQs for advice on how to prep and maintain your spray tan.
Many individual factors can contribute to patch or uneven wear-off, as each person’s skin is different. It is best to follow our Norvell Preparation and Maintenance Guide for maximum sunless results.
Be sure to gently polish the skin before each sunless session.
Keep skin hydrated on the inside and out. Using a daily moisturizer or a spray tan extender with a bronzer will extend the look of your tan. This bronzing booster will also reduce the appearance of uneven wear and patchiness. It is also recommended that individuals not tan more than 3 times in a 2 week period, to avoid build-up of tanning solution that will contribute to uneven wear-off. For frequent sunless tanning clients, we recommend a detoxifying salt scrub 1 to 2 times per month, to remove sunless tanning build-up. Be sure to wait at least 24 hours after salt scrub application before applying any sunless product, and do not shave immediately prior to using Salt Scrub.
It is important to keep skin moisturized after sunless tanning as dry, flaky skin will slough off faster and color will fade sooner. Your goal is to basically slow down your body’s natural exfoliation process. Sunless tan-extending products with a light self-tanning bronzer help hydrate skin and maintain even, natural-looking color longer by providing subtle bronzers.
If you are getting a One Hour Rapid spray tan, you can have a warm water rinse 1-4 hours, depending on the desired degree of development. If you are getting a Venitian PLUS spray tan, wait least 8 hours for a warm water rinse. With both formulas, please wait 24 hours to shower with soap.
The longevity of a sunless tan depends on the type of self-tanning application, the skin’s natural exfoliation process, and on the skincare regimen followed before and after application. On average, a professional application will last 5 to 7 days. The “life span” of a sunless tan also depends on your skin’s natural exfoliation. The faster your skin turns over, the faster the sunless tan will fade. The tan created by the DHA affects only the top layer of the skin and will begin to fade after 4 to 5 days as the skin naturally begins to exfoliate. Following a good skin care regimen before and after sunless tanning will help a sunless tan last longr. Exfoliating prior to a sunless tanning application and keeping skin moisturized afterwards are essential.
No. It is common to get a false sense of security when you have been spray tanned. Your skin will still burn when overexposed. It is still necessary to apply SPF lotions or sprays when in the sun. Norvell® solutions do NOT contain any SPF.
1. For best results, exfoliate before your session and focus on the driest areas — elbows, knees, hands, feet and the backs of your ankles. Try to avoid waxing or other spa treatments the day of your spray tan.
2. The day of your spray tan, don’t use moisturizers unless they are specifically formulated for sunless tanning (i.e., oil-free).
3. Avoid wearing perfumes, deodorant or makeup that can create a barrier for absorption. Avoid wearing tight clothing and shoes such as boots, socks or tights, which may rub off some of the spray tan and cause uneven results.
4. Wear dark, loose-fitting clothes.
5. Once you’re set up in one of our private and secure tanning room, disrobe to your level of comfort. If you choose not to spray tan nude, wear a swimsuit or undergarment that you don’t mind possibly staining. Be sure to remove all jewelry.
6. Barrier cream is an important element for prepping your spray tan. Apply a light layer of the cream in areas where skin tends to be rougher — hands, fingers, feet, toes and the sides of your feet. Don’t forget to apply to your cuticles, as well. These areas tend to soak up more spray solution.
7. Avoid bathing or swimming and activities that make you sweat heavily for least 4 hours. Swimming in chlorinated pools will quickly break down your spray tan. We suggest avoiding entirely, if possible.
8. Moisturize daily with a post-sunless product.
9. Avoid body washes that contain harsh soaps, exfoliants or oils. These ingredients can shorten the life of your tan. We recommend using soaps that are especially formulated to extend the life of your tan.
10. Avoid using pore strips, bandages and exfoliants (until you’re ready to spray again).